Synthetic or human hair? Everything you need to know before buying a wig
The ancient Egyptians are said to have invented the wig before the 17th century. It doesn’t really matter who made them first; I’m happy the wig was made! Every woman / person who knows the pain of a bad hair day appreciates the value of a good wig. In fact, wigs have found new meaning in the 21st century. They are fashionable and help all types of people to comfortably achieve the desired look. Wigs also help people to better maintain their natural hair. Constant heat treatment and styling of natural hair are detrimental. As a lover and wearer of wigs, I salute the evolution and prominence of this essential item of beauty. When looking to buy a wig online, you don’t have the privilege of touching and feeling it. To this end, knowing how to judge quality and style is crucial to making an informed decision. This comprehensive resource gives you the tools you need to order the most suitable wig that meets your needs.
What exactly is a wig?
According to an online dictionary, a wig is a covering made from real or artificial hair. The definition goes ahead to state that wigs are primarily worn by judges and lawyers in the courts of law or by people trying to hide a bald head. Today, wigs are popularly worn by women as a fashion statement. Hair or no hair, many people will wear fancy wigs in an attempt to look up-to-date and neat. Wigs also have cultural meanings in which celebrities create their brand and personality around certain wig-enhanced styles.
Types of wigs available in the market
Wigs are made from synthetic hair, human hair, or a mixture of human and animal hair. Sheep, agora rabbits, and horses are some of the most common sources of animal hair that are used to make wigs.
Wigs made with synthetic hair
Synthetic wigs are made from artificial hair. Some of the more common materials used to make them include nylon and acrylic fibers. Synthetic hair technology has really improved by making some of the most attractive wigs on the market synthetic. In fact, some artificial hair wigs cannot be differentiated from human or natural hair wigs. There are many merits to choosing a synthetic wig as highlighted below;
– Good quality ones look very real and natural.
– They are more affordable compared to human or natural hair wigs.
– Synthetic options will not have the problem of tangling, this is common in human hair types.
– These wigs will retain their style even after washing.
– You can choose a variety of styles and designs from the market as you like
– In general, they are easy to maintain.
– Synthetic wigs come in style and you cannot manipulate or change the style as you wish
– Synthetic wigs have a shorter lifespan (no more than 6 months); however, this will depend on the brand.
Wigs made with human hair
Human hair wigs give you the peace of mind of knowing that you are actually wearing real hair. As mentioned above, human hair can be mixed with real animal hair to form a hybrid. This type of wig comes with a number of pros and cons that are detailed below;
– The hairstyle can be done as you like. You can color, perm, and style just like your real hair. So you need a good stylist to make your human hair wig look good.
– Due to the versatility of the texture, you can get a wig very similar to the texture of your natural hair.
– These wigs usually last longer than their synthetic counterparts. A person who wears such a wig on a daily basis can enjoy a service of one year or more
– These wigs look and feel natural and this can improve your overall outlook and confidence.
– They are usually more expensive
– Maintaining them can be even more expensive just like maintaining your real hair.
– Wigs and the style in them cannot withstand the elements and will certainly react to drying and tangling
– They fade faster and are more brittle in heat and styling tools.
– Combing them will require work and time; Furthermore, they tend to be heavier than synthetic wigs.
How do you choose the best type of wig to buy?
When it comes to wigs, there is no one size or type that fits all. Buy what suits your needs. The following factors will determine whether you purchase a human hair wig or a synthetic hair wig. Please note that there are synthetic hair wigs that do not damage heat.
1. How much are you willing to spend?
If you are a fan of pennies, then synthetic wigs are made for you. Not only are they more affordable, but they are also of great quality and look very natural. If you don’t mind digging further in your pocket, you can go for a human hair wig.
2. What are your hairstyle preferences?
If you are the type of person who thrives on changing your hair appearance every other day, you need versatile wigs that can be styled to your liking. In this regard, human hair wigs are flexible and can be colored, heat styled, and permed to achieve the look you want. If you choose heat resistant synthetic wigs, this is a good option; however, they only last no more than 4 months due to the style.
3. Do you wear the wig daily?
Wearing a wig every day will expose it to the elements regardless of type. So you need a wig that lasts longer and is more durable. To this end, a human hair wig can really help you. You can use one for up to a year. You can also choose synthetic wigs that are easier to wear. Investing in two or three can help you extend the life of each wig. This can also give you styling options to break the monotony.
A guide to buying a wig that fits you perfectly
Once you have a general idea of the type of wig you want, now is the time to go into the details. Factors such as head size, cap type, color and style come into play.
– How to determine your head size for a perfect wig fit
Wigs should fit perfectly, and just like your clothes and shoes, you should know your size. In general, there are three sizes of wig that are; small, medium and large. Most women fall below the middle head. To this end, the market is full of more style options in this regard. The next popular category of wig sizes is small, where women wear smaller capped wigs. Few women wear the large cap size. Using a tape measure, get your head circumference from your forehead and around your hairline. You can also use a flexible cloth to determine the measurement. If your head circumference results are 20.5 to 21.5 inches, you are a small cap size. 21.5 to 22.5 inches will indicate an average head size or cap. The large cap falls between 22.5 and 23.5 inches. Many wigs come with adjustment straps to help you optimize the fit accordingly.
– Consider the type of cap for the ideal wig.
Cap types play a role in improving the overall look and feel of the wig. There are four basic types as listed below;
1. Classic Capless Wigs: They do not have a cap and allow the hair to breathe better. They feature rows of hair wefts sewn together.
2. Wigs with monofilamnet cap: the hairs are placed in a transparent mesh cap individually. This gives it a superior natural look. They are more expensive than classic wigs.
3. Hand Tied Cap Wigs: This is an upgrade of the monofilament cap wig. It features a hand-tied construction where the hair is won into a lace fabric for an even better natural look.
4. Lace Frontal Wigs With Cap: With the lace frontals, all the above types of wigs can be improved. The hair is planted in very fine lace around the hairline. In this way, your wig can be removed to achieve a very natural look.
– Choose your preferred wig style
Short, chin length, medium length and long hairstyles, there are all kinds of wig styles to choose from. Be creative and choose what appeals to you the most. After choosing your desired style, consider the colors available for the particular piece. Again, this is an opportunity to do what works for you. Some styling experts may recommend certain wig colors and styles for your head, but in the real sense, you have to use your personal taste to achieve what you want most. If you prefer an expert opinion on head shape and best styling practices, the following guide is for you.
How to select the ideal wig for your face shape
There are seven main face shapes. Everyone will have unique shapes, but these are the general shapes that will help you choose the most flattering wig.
1. Oval face shape
This is a longer looking face with a narrow jaw compared to cheekbones. Most of the elements of the form are proportional. To this end, this shape can be adapted to all types of wigs and hairstyles.
2. Round face shape
The characteristics of this face include a round hairline and a round chin. The widest part of the face will tend to be the cheeks and ears. The best styles for this face shape include short wigs swept back or those that are slightly longer than the chin. Adding volume and height to the crown is the key to getting a great look.
3. Square face shape
This face features a very strong square jawline and a square hairline. Wavy wigs that provide softness and roundness fit this face shape very well. Layers are great while adding height to the crown. The curls and waves will add symmetry enhancing your overall appearance.
4. Rectangular or oblong face shape
This is a longer face without much width. It may have a very high forehead and a narrow chin. Short and medium length wigs will shorten the length of the face. Side parts and layers are great for enhancing your look. With fuller sides, the width of your face will be added.
5. Heart face shape
This shape will feature broad cheekbones and a forehead with a narrow jawline. The chin is usually small and soft. Some of the best fitting wig styles include side-parted styles, chin length, and other longer styles. The idea is to soften and taper the chin while achieving balance with prominent cheekbones.
6. Diamond face shape
This face is considered the cross between an oval and a heart shape. It has a narrow forehead and a jaw line. The good thing about this way is that you can achieve most styles of wigs. Experiment with what suits you best.
7. Pear face shape
This face features a round chin, a narrow forehand, and a wide jaw. Styles that minimize the jaw line will work great. Having your hair close to your forehead and temples can create an oval shape. Very long and full styles will add width to the jaw and you may want to avoid these wig styles.