Real Estate Investing – Writing Killer Postcards to Attract Motivated Sellers!
Many of you have told us that you are ready to start investing, but “you can’t find any deals! And what are the steps and secrets to finding great deals?” Some of you have even written to us asking if there are still offers left … OF COURSE there are! We find them all the time. But you won’t find them by looking at newspaper for sale ads, yard sale signs, or concentrating solely on short sales, foreclosures, REOs, and agent-listed properties.
You have to get motivated salespeople out from under the rocks where they are hiding and make THEM call you! Imagine how easy and stress-free it is to make a huge income when real, genuine and motivated salespeople call you and you can choose the best deals on your calls. It really is like shooting ducks in a barrel.
Alright, enough is enough! Now you’re wondering: how can you get those same motivated salespeople out from under a rock and call yourself back? The secret is in a multi-step campaign, and one of the important steps is to use direct mail, that is, postcards or letters that make motivated salespeople pick up your phone and call you.
We have tons of examples and a much more detailed explanation of an entire investor marketing campaign, from low budget onwards, in our $ 69 book / tape course Marketing: Secrets to Exploiting the Quantity and Quality of Your Offers and Really we design and implement your own complete marketing campaign with you in our 6-month Coaching Program: Secrets to Your Own $ 80,000 / Year Real Estate Investing Business, No Bulls
So, here are the 14 key secrets to writing killer postcards that create a wave of motivated salespeople.
1) Write all your text or copy with WIIFM in mind. WIIFM stands for What’s In It For Me. The “I” stands for the seller, the recipient of your postcard. Write only in terms of benefits to them, NOT what you will get out of it, not much about yourself. Focus on what will excite them, what you will do for them, what you can honestly say to make them believe that you can help them.
2) Holder with WIIFM. Develop a big, bold 10-20 word headline that gives them your best and boldest “WIIFM punch,” and place it at the top of both sides of the postcard. For example: “Can you really sell your house in days? Please do not list with an agent or put a ForSale signature until you read this.” Another example: “Are you frustrated because you want your house to be sold overnight? Now you have an easy solution for problems like: repairmen, bad tenants, late payments, estate, eviction, bankruptcy, divorce or foreclosure.”
3) Make the recipient’s name / address as personal as possible. You don’t want to look like junk mail, so when you write the address on the postcard, don’t use ‘Resident’ or ‘Owner’ or ‘Mr. Smith ‘or’ Mrs. Roberts’. Try simply using the first and last name: ‘Susan Johnson’. You may also consider handwriting (or using a handwriting font) the recipient’s information.
4) Use a photo of yourself, a studio head shot, to make it “real, friendly, nice, and trustworthy” to the seller. The sooner the seller feels that they know and trust you, the sooner they will call you and sell your home.
5) Include the address of the non-owner-occupied property (i.e. rental home) on your title, if you are mailing an absent owner or landlord elsewhere, at your home address. This allows the recipient to know which of their homes they are interested in buying.
6) Your sender address should also not be a “spam indicator”, so consider omitting your business name and instead use your personal name and / or handwrite the sender address as well.
7) You need testimonials from all of your happy salespeople (include their full names and occupations), so that you can include as many as possible on your postcard so that the salesperson can identify with them and come to feel that they know and trust you. -quickly.
8) If you are too new to receive testimonials from your salespeople, write short “Success Stories”. Just a paragraph or two describing how you helped “Frank and Joanne save their home from foreclosure …”. Make these true and cut the deed to the WIIFM, but do not use last names as you do not have written permission.
9) Show the seller that you regularly help your neighbors and / or have a history of helping sellers, including the number of sellers you helped last month or last year, and / or their (nearby) addresses.
10) Sellers should see their phone number printed on the postcard at least 3-6 times. So that every time they read it they have another chance to lean in and make the decision to call you.
11) Sellers trust you the most when you can provide a Genuine Warranty that is meaningful to the seller and that you will really stand behind. For example: “We guarantee that you will receive a written offer within __48__ hours, or we will invite you to dinner or we will send it to the cinema” (give them a gift certificate for pizzeria or theater, if it does not meet guarantee).
12) Tell everyone, even on your postcard, that you pay referral fees if they know someone you would like to sell your home to quickly and without hassle.
13) Give the recipient a “Not quite ready” response mechanism. If they are not ready to call and talk to you yet, but are more than a little interested, please let them know how they can visit your website or call your free recorded message 24/7 for more information. . This is a great, non-threatening way to allow people to get to know you and trust you.
14) Lastly, the “PS” at the bottom of your postcard has been researched as the MOST read part of any postcard or letter. So please include a PD that summarizes what you do and your phone number at the bottom.