Is your house full of ants?
Easy tips to get rid of all kinds of ants
Simple methods to get rid of different types of ants from your house
Ants are a problem that many people have. There is nothing more disturbing, annoying, or embarrassing than having ants in the home. Additionally, there are several different species of ants that can be dangerous to you or your family members, depending on the states in which you live; And there are other ants that can cause serious damage to the joinery or woodwork in your home. Several different types of ants are listed below.
1. Fire ants are some of the worst types of ants you can have in your home. Fire ants are found throughout the United States, but those in southern states, such as Florida, are the most dangerous.
Fire ants are usually found outside, but can sometimes reside in the foundation and climb to the ground. You can tell if you have reached a red ant’s nest. These ants are small and dark red in color, but their bites can be painful.
Fire ants are very aggressive and when their nest is disturbed, they sting several times. In southern states, fire ants can also be deadly, especially to unhealthy children and adults.
2. Carpenter ants are the most common ant problem people have in the United States. Carpenter ants can damage your home just as much as termites. Carpenter ants are large black ants and reside in wood. They dig tunnels in the wood and that is where they build their nests. When carpenter ants dig their tunnels in wood, this weakens the wood and causes it to rot.
3. Sugar ants are probably some of the nastiest ants you can have in your home. These ants are also known as pharaoh ants or pavement ants. The fact that these ants persist in getting what they want makes them a serious household pest.
What makes these ants a particular nuisance is that they can smell any food that is protein and sugars. These ants will invade any food you have on your table or on your kitchen counter. Additionally, these ants can also be harmful because they can carry dangerous staph and pseudomonas bacteria.
4. Argentine ants can be a serious problem for you if you live in the southwestern desert. Argentine ants are a problem that not only affects individual households, but is also wiping out the native habitat of the Southwest. Argentine ants can eat everything in sight.
How do I get rid of these ants?
There are many different ways to get rid of ants and you don’t need to hire an exterminator to solve your ant problem. In some cases, however, an exterminator may be needed. However, exterminators are expensive and their chemicals are highly toxic. Try a few home remedies before considering hiring an exterminator. Some remedies are listed below.
1. Hydramethylnon is a toxic chemical that is generally produced in granules and is a great way to get rid of fire ants in your home. These granules are sold in your general store and generally under the brand names of Amdro, Maxforce, or Siege.
2. To get rid of carpenter ants, you must first locate their nest. There are several ways to locate a carpenter ant nest. The first sign that you have a problem with carpenter ants is if you see a carpenter ant roaming the ground.
You can also hear the ants whisper in the woodwork. One of the best ways to get rid of carpenter ants is to bait it with sugar or honey. Carpenter ants like sweet things and will swarm around sugar or honey. When you see carpenter ants swarming over the sugar, follow them to see where they come from.
Once you’ve seen your nest, use a strong spray ant killer. There are many aerosol ant killers available, with Raid being the largest and most well-known brand. You can also drill holes in the wall where the ant nest is and spray or dust the ant killer directly on the nest.
A good powder that can be used to kill ants is Sevin. But keep in mind that Sevin is very toxic. If you have children, you should keep them away from Sevin and you should place something they cannot move in front of the ant nest when you are applying the Sevin.
Once you’ve gotten rid of carpenter ants, there are a few things you can do to prevent them from returning to your home.
For. White gravel can be a natural barrier when lining it around the house. The way white gravel works is simple. Carpenter ants like most dark places and white gravel is dry and allows good drainage. If moisture is drained out of your home, carpenter ants will not enter.
B. Boric acid is another great tool to make your home repellent to carpenter ants. Boric acid is not as strong as other acids and it is not as dangerous. As with all acids, you should still take your precautions with boric acid. You should not consume it nor should you allow your children to get close to it.
vs. Hiring a professional exterminator is the last option if you can’t get rid of carpenter ants.
3. Sweet, protein-based baits are the best way to get rid of sugar and Argentine ants. Although the two species of ants have similar tastes, they are different and the ways to get rid of sugar ants and Argentine ants are listed below.
I. Getting rid of sugar ants can be a daily affair. This is especially the case when the sugar ants are the most active, which is during the months of March to September. There are several things you can do to prevent a sugar ant infestation in your home during this time.
For. Keep your kitchen sink clean and dry. If there’s one thing sugar ants like best, it’s a nice, dirty kitchen sink.
B. Clean countertops with bleach every night. Keep your countertops clean and free of sugar-based foods or other dietary proteins. Sugar ants also like a dirty countertop. If you even spill a few grains of sugar during the summer months, the sugar ants will find it and make them feel right at home.
vs. Mop your kitchen floor with bleach every night during the summer months. Sweep your kitchen floor after every meal. The bleach will destroy the pheromone trails left by a scout sugar ant.
D. Vacuum carpeted areas where food is eaten regularly. This can be a good policy to avoid inviting sugar ants into your home.
me. Use sturdy trash bags to cover your kitchen trash can and take your trash out of the house daily to prevent sugar ants from entering your kitchen attracted to your trash. After taking the trash out of your kitchen, use Arm & Hammer Baking Soda to deodorize the trash can.
II. One of the best ways to control Argentine ants is to prevent them from entering your home. All that Argentine ants need to enter your home is a small hole from the outside that is one millimeter wide. Check all your windows and doors. Make sure the seams of the window frames are well sealed with caulk.
Make sure the window screens are in place and not broken. Weatherstrip doors and windows to prevent these invading ants from simply coming in and making themselves at home. Other ways to get rid of Argentine ants are as follows:
For. Talcum powder can be used to get rid of Argentine ants because, for some unknown reason, these ants do not like talcum powder. After this powder has been sprinkled throughout the house where Argentine ants nest or enter, it will not only eliminate these pests, but also prevent them from returning.
B. Maxforce ant killing granules can be spread around the house to effectively kill Argentine ants.
Other innovative ways to get rid of ants
Some companies have come up with some solutions that do not require insecticides or other toxic chemicals.
1. PestRepeller Ultimate is a disposable device that, according to its manufacturer, eliminates not only ants, but also other pests, such as insects of any kind, spiders and rodents. This device uses a sound of a specific pitch that is inaudible to the human ear, but for insects and rodents the sound generated by this device is unbearable.
2. Vinegar can be another way to get rid of ants and repel them without using toxic pesticides. Ants don’t like the smell of vinegar.
3. A large pot of boiling water can be like a nuclear bomb for an ant nest, as long as you know where the ant nest is. All you need to do is pour the boiling water over the entire nest and make sure it goes into the tunnels and it will kill all the ants on contact. You can intensify the effect by adding boric acid and cornmeal to the boiling water.
There are many ways to get rid and control the ant problem in your home, depending on where you live.